Do you love espresso? Well, then you know there's nothing as appealing as taking your cup of espresso as the sun rises or sets. And over time, it gets hectic to keep running to your favorite coffee shop. So, what can you do? Simple. Look for the best espresso machine out there.
However, you'll come across a wide range of espresso machines on the market. Consequently, choosing the right one might prove a bit hectic.
Fortunately for you, we will review 9 of the best espresso machines to help make your purchase decision much easier.
1. Mr. Coffee Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
We'll start off this review with Mr. Coffee Espresso Maker. The machine is not only affordable but also features high-quality construction. It is made of stainless steel. One of the most astounding features of it is that it is a semi-automatic 3-in-1 machine.
What does this mean for you? Well, besides making your favorite espresso, you can also use it to make latte and cappuccino. Moreover, it comes with a 15-bar pump system, which lets you brew rich-tasting espresso coffee.
As if that's not enough. The Mr. Coffee Espresso maker also features an automatic milk frother. Therefore, you don't need to guess, especially when you're working with pressurized milk. Moreover, you don't need to wash the water reservoir in the dishwasher.
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
Brewing your espresso is also a seamless task with this machine. How so? Well, it includes a one-touch control panel for drink selections. It also comes with removable water and milk reservoirs, which are easy to fill. The machine also has a power input of 1040 Watts and includes a 26-inch power cord.
- Quite affordable
- It is a 3-in1 machine
- Has an automatic milk frother
- Sturdy build
- Has removable water and milk reservoirs
- Durability issues
2. Breville the Barista Espresso Machine, BES870XL
Do you constantly enjoy a cup of espresso? Well, you could make yourself one anytime you like using the BES870XL. But what exactly is this machine? How does it work? Is it a worthwhile purchase?
Well, for starters, this espresso machine features a sleek and sturdy design. It is made of stainless steel and has a capacity of one cup. One of the most impressive features of this machine is the integrated conical burr grinder. Its purpose? To deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter.
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
Moreover, it has precise espresso extraction. You see, the manufacturer fits it with digital temperature control, which delivers water at the right temperature for optimal espresso extraction. The BES870XL also features micro-foam milk texturing. It has a steam wand performance that lets you to hand-texture micro-foam milk to improve the flavor.
You'll also observe that it comes with a grind size dial to let you choose the grind size. It also has a hands-free operation but also has a manual override.
- Has digital temperature control
- Includes a hands-free operation
- Let's you set the grind size regardless of the type of beans
- Features micro-foam milk texturing
- Relatively expensive
- Limited tank capacity
3. Philips 3200 Espresso Machine – EP3221/44
Have you been looking for an espresso maker but you can't make up your mind on the product to get? Well, you might consider getting yourself the EP3221/44. One of the things that you'll notice about this machine is its impressive build design. That aside, it has a compact design, plus, it is fully automatic.
The manufacturer designs this espresso maker with an intuitive touch display. Therefore, controlling it is a seamless task. It also operates at a 60-hertz frequency. You'll also be glad to know that you can use this machine to make Americano, hot water, coffee, and espresso lungo.
- Enjoy 4 coffees at your fingertips, makes espresso, hot water, coffee, Americano, Espresso Lungo
- Intuitive touch display, frequency: 60 hertz
It also comes with three aroma settings, which allow you to adjust the aroma strength. Besides, it has an aroma seal. You can also adjust the quantity.
Another cool feature on this espresso maker is the 12-step grinder adjustments. And if that's not enough, it also comes with a removable brew group to allow easier cleaning.
- It can make up to 5,000 cups without descaling
- Has an intuitive touch display
- Makes a variety of coffees
- Has dishwasher safe parts
- Includes a removable brew group for easy cleaning
- Falls on the higher price range
- Poor customer support
4. De'Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica
Do you enjoy a hot cup of espresso on a cold evening? Well, then you might want to check out De'Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica for your espresso making needs. This machine comes with a patented cappuccino system frother, which mixes steam and milk efficiently to form a rich, creamy froth.
The Magnifica also includes an easy-to-use rotary and push-button control panel, which has programmable menu settings. It also has an input power of 1350 Watts, and you can only use cups with a maximum height of 4.25 inches.
- Patented "Cappuccino System" frother that mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth
- Easy-to-use rotary and push button control panel with programmable menu settings and beans container capacity is 8.8 ounces.Coffee grounds container- 14 cups or after 72 hours from first use. Maximum cup height- 4.25 inches
It also comes with a direct-to-brew system that lets it grind the beans instantly. However, for optimal performance, you're advised to use beans with less visible oil.
And the best part? Well, this espresso maker is very easy to clean. You don't need to use chemicals. It also has a 3-hour automatic shut off feature, which helps reduce your energy bill.
- It is very easy to clean
- It comes with an automatic shut off feature
- Has a programmable menu
- It grinds your beans instantly
- You cannot get proper support if you buy from an unauthorized dealer
- Sometimes, beans may get stuck in the grinder
5. De'Longhi ECP3420
If you love appliances by De'Longhi, then you might want to check out De'Longhi ECP3420 for your espresso making needs. One thing you might like about this machine is its simple, yet elegant build design. The appliance is made of stainless steel. So, you don't have to worry much about its durability. Besides, it's quite affordable.
This coffee maker has an input power of 1100 watts. And it features a 15-bar professional pressure, which lets you brew quality espresso every time.
- 15 bar professional pressure assures quality results every time. Input power 1100 watts
- Second tier drip tray to accommodate larger cups. Convenient filter storage: The machine has convenient storage for your filters
That aside, it's also fitted with a second-tier drip tray, which lets you use larger cups. We also liked that the De'Longhi ECP3420 comes with convenient filter storage. The manufacturer has also fitted this machine with a 37-ounce water tank, and it has a maximum cup height of 3.5 to 5 inches.
If it's your first time using it, you'll be glad to know that it comes with an instructional manual. It also has a self-priming operation.
- Comes with a convenient filter storage
- Includes a user manual
- You can adjust it according to cup size
- Has a sleek design
- The pump is a bit feeble
- The warming plate easily gets hot
6. SowTech Espresso Machine
Are you an espresso lover? Have you been looking for an affordable machine to fulfill your love for such coffee? Well, you could check out SowTech Espresso Machine, and decide if it's what you need.
This espresso maker has a compact design; therefore, you can place it anywhere on your kitchen counter. Unlike most espresso makers that are only made of stainless steel, this one is also made of plastic and glass.
The appliance also comes with a single switch knob that has an indicator light, making it easy to use. Better yet, it has accurate temperature control.
You might also like that it comes with a frothing arm, which lets you make rich, creamy froth. You can use it to make from one to four cups of espresso. And the easy-pour glass cup makes it easy to serve the coffee. As if that's not enough, it has a removable, washable drip catcher that collects the coffee that drips.
- It has a removable drip catcher
- Has a compact design
- Very affordable
- Has accurate temperature control
- Very easy to use
- Has a small water reservoir
- Could easily break
7. Phillips Espresso LatteGo – EP3241/54
The next item on our list is Phillips Espresso LatteGo. It could easily serve your needs if you're an espresso lover. The machine is made of plastic, but it features a sleek design and is also fully automatic. So, you don't need to worry about operation difficulty.
Apart from making espresso, you can rely on this machine to make 4 other types of coffees. The machine is also fitted with a round frothing chamber, which mixes air and milk at high speed to let you enjoy quality froth.
- Enjoy 5 coffees
- Intuitive touch display
Another cool feature of this appliance is its intuitive touch display. It not only lets you select the type of coffee you want but also lets you adjust the strength and quantity of your beverage. It also features a 12-step grinder adjustment, which lets you select the grind size you want.
It also has an AquaClean filter that helps keep it in top-notch condition. And it has a fully removable brewing group to give you an easier time when cleaning.
- Has 12-step grinder adjustment
- Lets you make 5 types of coffee
- Easy to clean
- The touch display makes operating it easy
- Comes with a water hardness test strip
- The size lever is not high enough
- It is quite loud
8. Espressoworks Espresso Machine
The Espressoworks Espresso Machine is yet another item that stacks up among the best espresso machines in 2020. But what exactly makes it stand out among most out there? Well, let's figure it out.
For starters, the machine has a sturdy and impressive design. Moreover, the controls are well-placed. So, operating it might seem like a walk in the park. Looking at the build quality, you can easily tell that this is an espresso maker that will give you value for your money.
- ✅ Includes: 15 Bar Pump Espresso & Cappuccino Maker, Electric Coffee Bean Grinder, Stainless Steel Portafilter with Single and Double Shot Filter Baskets, Milk frothing pitcher, Scoop/Tamper, 2 Ceramic Espresso Cups
- ✅ ESPRESSO MACHINE and LATTE MAKER 15 BAR PUMP PRESSURE SYSTEM- Enjoy great tasting Italian Espresso, Americano and Macchiato!
The machine is designed with a 15-bar pump pressure system. And you could use it to make a latte, Americano, Macchiato, and Italian espresso. One of the most impressive features of it is that it has an advanced thermos-block heating system. It lets you make your coffee in about 45 seconds.
Besides, it has a transparent, 1.25-liter tank, which lets you monitor the water levels. That notwithstanding the tank has a handle to let you remove it easily. Did we also mention that it includes two portafilter baskets?
- Excellent customer service
- Comes with a removable water tank
- The water tank is transparent for easy viewing
- Fitted with a thermos-block heating system for faster brewing
- Has two portafilter baskets
- Durability issues
- A bit noisy
9. Nespresso VertuoPlus
Last but not least is Nespresso VertuoPlus. You will notice that this espresso maker has a simple, yet unique design. Making coffee using this machine is quite simple. You only need the touch of a single button to get started. Even better, the coffee maker has four adjustable cup support positions to let you use different cup sizes.
- SIMPLE, ONE TOUCH ESPRESSO MACHINE: Create exceptional Coffee or authentic Espresso at the touch of a single button The cup support is adjustable to four positions to accommodate different cup sizes Deluxe version also available
- ONE ESPRESSO MACHINE, FIVE CUP SIZES: One convenient machine for 5 cup sizes, depending on your coffee needs: Alto Coffee (14 oz), Coffee (8 oz), Gran Lungo (5 oz), Double Espresso (2.7 oz) and Espresso (1.35oz)
The machine supports up to 5 cup sizes. So, that should suit your coffee needs at different times. The most distinctive feature of this espresso maker is its intelligent extraction system. It allows it to identify every coffee blend. The tech spins up to 7,000 times every minute to make sure that the water and beans blend well.
The Nespresso VertuoPlus also comes with a variety of capsules that have unique aromatic capsules.
- Comes with Nespresso capsules
- Has intelligent extraction tech to make sure the water and beans blend well
- Supports up to 5 cup sizes
- Has four adjustable cup support positions
- It has a limited tank capacity
- Takes too long to pour one cup
Types of espresso machines
Mainly, you will find two types of espresso machines – pump-driven and steam-driven. Now, these are subdivided further. Steam-driven machines have two types, which are:
- pump-less electric machines, and
- stove-top espresso makers
On the other hand, pump-driven machines are more popular. As such, you will find more varieties as compared to their counterparts. The types of pump-driven machines include:
- Electronic pump
- Manual lever pump
- Automatic pump
- Super-automatic pump
- Semi-automatic pump
Things to consider before buying an espresso machine
You see, before you get yourself an espresso machine, you need to know that you'll find plenty of products out there. As a result, you need to make a careful assessment to make sure that you only settle for the best.
However, if it is your first time making the purchase and you don't know what to look out for, there's no need to worry. Here's a list of the main things to be on the lookout for.
Before you settle for a particular espresso machine, you need to consider its brewing capability. You need to check how many cups it can brew at a go, plus, the procedure you will follow to make yourself and others a good cup. Most importantly, you have to make sure that the machine you get can produce a quality drink.
Besides the brewing capability, you must also consider the milk frothing. Usually, modern espresso machine comes with frother. But you have to ensure that the machine you get has a high-performance frother.
So, it's important you know how many espressos you intend to be making. That way, you'll decide on the quality of the machine you want.
Additionally, you have to consider the design quality of the machine you would like to buy. You have to make sure that you get an item that features high-quality construction. An excellent design will guarantee an espresso machine's durability.
And most are made from either stainless steel or brass. Both are excellent materials, especially since they're very durable. Besides, they're both resistant to corrosion. You also want a machine that has enough features to allow you to brew your espresso seamlessly.
Ease of cleaning
Sometimes, cleaning an espresso machine can prove quite hectic. Therefore, you need to find a product that's easy to clean. That way, you'll also extend its lifespan. When you're getting that espresso machine, check how you can disassemble and reassemble it. It is a step to determining how easy it is to clean your machine. Also, you need to consider how long it takes to clean an espresso cup.
Do you love espresso? Have you been looking for an espresso maker but you can't make up your mind on the item to get? Well, this listicle has reviewed some of the best on the market. All these models are great, and they'll make making espresso at home a breeze. Feel free to go through the list again to find the one that best suits your needs.